This year is certainly not what any of us had expected. During this time, we rely on institutions like our Synagogue and Sisterhood to keep us connected to each other and our values. We are up to the challenge to keep Sisterhood vital, involved, and meaningful for our members. Please use this link to join Sisterhood:
Traditionally, the SHJC Sisterhood Board would meet this time of year and collate colorful pages describing our many programs to be mailed to all synagogue members. That is not possible this year, so we are using this opportunity to embrace technology and find new and perhaps better ways to communicate. This email contains a great deal of information. There are 4 links in total which you can click on to open. If you did not click on the Sisterhood membership link above, please do so now!
The next link is entitled “Help Sisterhood Help YOU!!” Please read through that for information on some ways Sisterhood can help you to safely perform acts of kindness for the people most important to you. To access this information: Help Sisterhood Help YOU:
Please continue to read all the way through this email. There are two additional links, for College Youth and Torah Fund.
Sisterhood is active all year round. We are about..
Celebrating Jewish Holidays…
- In lieu of Sisterhood’s annual greeting booklet, the synagogue is sponsoring a High Holiday greetings video. All members will have the opportunity to contribute to this no-cost program, and we will all be able to enjoy each other’s contributions and holiday wishes.
- Our Pick-a-Dreidel project provides Hanukkah gifts to the less fortunate in our community.
- Our Torah Fund campaign provides much needed funding to the Jewish Theological Seminary, which is the academic institution charged with teaching and training clergy for the Conservative Movement. The Torah Fund Pin is a beautiful gift to the most generous donors; however, any level of contribution is appreciated. Please use this link to to see this year’s pin, and print the document to contribute to Torah Fund: Link to Torah Fund letter.
We prepare Shalah Manot baskets for Purim so that you can satisfy the mitzvah of the holiday.
Providing for our children…
- We give a gift to every Bar/Bat Mitzvah.
- Hanukkah presents are given to each Early Childhood student.
- Our college youth are sent gifts at Rosh Hashanah, Hanukkah, Purim and at graduation. Please use the form in this link to enroll your children or grandchildren:
We support our Religious School holiday celebrations by providing apples and honey for Rosh Hashanah, flags for Simhat Torah, Hamantaschen for Purim, food for the Passover Seder.
Our traditional social activities…
- Paid Up Membership Evening to show our thanks for your support. (We are planning something special to continue this tradition safely in 2020.)
- Sisterhood Shabbat Weekend, when women lead the entire service and have an opportunity to grow and learn and showcase their spirituality and grace.
- Crowning of Queen Esther following an always timely, funny skit.
- Entertaining activities, Education programs, and book discussions are held throughout the year.
We also provide
- Cards for Simhas, get well and condolence are available at a nominal donation for you to send to your family and friends.
- A Judaica shop with gift items is available for all your Jewish shopping needs.
- JNF Trees are available for purchase. Information available on our website and e-notices, and the “Help Sisterhood Help YOU!!” link above in this email.
- Social action programs to benefit our community.
- Support for SHJC programs.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at Sisterhood@shjc.org
. We are looking forward to a meaningful 2020-2021.
Pam Landman & Gayle Charlack